Volunteering may be one of the most valuable experiences of your life. It's a double win: your community or cause benefits from your work and you benefit from your experiences.
1. Volunteering is a great way to get work experience! You learn new skills by trying new jobs.
2. You might find something you'd like to do for a living, or discover what you would not want to do.
3. Better yet, you can meet people who can give you guidance and possibly help you to find a paid job later on.
4. Some volunteer opportunities involve travel across Canada or to other countries.
5. Employers will be impressed that you took the initiative to learn new things.
6. You can learn how a charitable organization works.
7. Best of all, you will be taking action to promote what you think is important and probably be helping someone else along the way.
Who needs volunteers?
4. Overseas development organizations
5. Music and arts festivals
6. Sporting leagues and events
7. Children's camps
9. Environmental organizations
10. Crisis lines and peer counselling organizations
11. Human rights organizations
12. Religious organizations
13. Political campaigns
14. Government agencies (local, provincial, federal)
What are some of the things a volunteer can do?
1. Coach a team.
2. Read to children.
3. Raise money for charity (fight diseases, reduce poverty, help the sick and injured, etc.).
4. Care for the elderly.
5. Feed the hungry.
6. Provide counselling and support.
7. Run errands and do deliveries.
8. Gather and analyze data.
9. Raise awareness of important issues.
10. Do clean-up and repairs in the community.
11. Build houses or playground equipment.
12. Care for animals.
13. Stage concerts, plays and other cultural events.
14. Protect the environment.
15. Plant trees.
16. Help-out with a political campaign.
Where can you find volunteer opportunities?
1. Visit your community's volunteer bureau, community information centre, or town hall.
2. Call a service club.
3. Visit a hospital.
4. Ask family, friends and neighbours what they recommend.
5. Join an organization whose activities you support.
Volunteer Centres in Manitoba
Volunteer Manitoba Suite 410-5 Donald Street South Winnipeg, R3L 2T4 Tel: 888-922-4545 Fax: 204-284-5200 www.volunteermanitoba.ca email@example.com More >
Boilermakers construct, install, test, maintain and repair boilers, tanks and other vessels that contain liquids, gases and dry products. These vessels may have unique characteristics. Boilermakers may work from blueprints to fabricate components from steel or other materials. They often have to attach rigging and work with cranes to lift... More >
Aboriginal Job Centre
The Aboriginal Job Centre lists employment opportunities across Canada that are available to Aboriginal people. Listings can be searched by location, job sector, or key word. More >
Grant for Students with Dependants
This grant provides financial assistance to students with dependent children under 12 years of age at the period of study start date. Students who are eligible for the Grant for Students with Dependants may also be eligible for the Grant for Students from Low-Income Families Delivered by: Human Resources and... More >
Machinists possess the knowledge and abilities to set up and operate machines that cut or grind metal and other materials into products with precise dimensions. These machines include lathes, milling machines, saws, grinding machines, drilling machines and boring machines. Machinists work from drawings, specifications and their own measurements to calculate... More >
Sprinkler System Installer
The occupational title "Sprinkler System Installer" defines persons who, because of their knowledge, training and abilities, are capable of installing, testing, maintaining, and repairing fire protection systems. Sprinkler System Installers are usually, but not exclusively, found in industrial, institutional, commercial, and residential situations, such as: plants, factories, office buildings, hotels,... More >
Veterinary Colleges in Canada
The Atlantic Veterinary College University of Prince Edward Island 550 University Avenue Charlottetown, PEI, Canada C1A 4P3 UniversitÃ© de MontrÃ©al 3200, rue Sicotte Saint-Hyacinthe, QuÃ©bec, Canada J2S 7C6 The Ontario Veterinary College University of Guelph Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1 The Western College of Veterinary Medicine University of Saskatchewan Saskatoon,... More >
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
A heavy duty equipment technician is a tradesperson who possesses the full range of knowledge, abilities and skills required to diagnose, repair, adjust, overhaul, maintain, operate and test mobile heavy duty off-road equipment. Heavy duty equipment technicians are employed by companies that own and operate heavy equipment, heavy equipment dealerships,... More >